Sunday, September 8, 2013

Let peace begin with me

Where does "peace" begin?  Peace begins with each individual and one’s own self-examination of what that means in our lives.  The word "peace" is referred to in the Bible many times.  Peace is something that from the beginning, generations have been searching for... fighting for... seeking for.  Peace must be united with faith, hope and love. 


Peace is such a gift from God and so often we take it for granted, or sometimes miss its blessing as we live our lives each day.  We find "peace" in the good things in our everyday lives. 

Jesus Christ, before he was crucified, spoke of peace to his disciples (John 14:25-27) when he said: “I have told you these things while I am still with you. But the Holy Spirit will come and help you, because the Father will send the Spirit to take my place. The Spirit will teach you everything and will remind you of what I said while I was with you. I give you peace, the kind of peace that only I can give. It isn't like the peace that this world can give. So don't be worried or afraid.”

The Holy Spirit reminds us that we are always connected to God. It also reminds us that Christ left information that the Holy Spirit is active. He said: "He will teach you all things," and "He will cause you to recall everything I have told you."

The Apostle Paul in his writings also shared instructions on peace. In Philippians 4, he wrote to encourage Christ's followers: “Finally, my friends, keep your minds on whatever is true, pure, right, holy, friendly, and proper. Don't ever stop thinking about what is truly worthwhile and worthy of praise. You know the teachings I gave you, and you know what you heard me say and saw me do. So follow my example. And God, who gives peace, will be with you.”

In Paul's writings to the Philippians, he encouraged the people to make every effort to agree and ask that they not argue. This is an indication that there will be differences of opinion in our lives, but it should not stop progress toward peace. Therefore, let peace begin with me.


No comments: